We all want to find the perfect work shoes or boots, but it can be hard to decide which material is right for us.
Leather has been my go-to for work shoes for as long as I can remember. It’s tough, durable, and most importantly, comfortable. But synthetic materials are starting to make a name for themselves, with people claiming that they’re even more comfortable than leather.
For leather vs synthetic shoes – you need to keep in mind that despite many advantages, leather can be expensive and difficult to care for. Synthetic materials are cheaper and easier to care for, but they may not be as comfortable or durable.
There are many factors to consider when looking for the perfect work shoes or boots. But one of the most important decisions you’ll have to make is whether to go with leather or synthetic materials.
Here we’ll explore the comparative features, pros and cons of both materials, so you can make an informed decision about which is right for you.
- 1 How Important is the Material of Your Shoes or Boots?
- 2 What are Leather (or We should Call – Genuine Leather) Shoes?
- 3 What are Synthetic Shoes?
- 4 Verdict – So, what’s the verdict? Genuine Leather Vs Synthetic Shoes?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Final Thoughts
How Important is the Material of Your Shoes or Boots?
Anyone who has ever gone shopping for shoes knows that there are a dizzying array of choices available. Not only are there dozens of different styles to choose from, but there is also a wide range of materials to choose from as well.
So, how do you know which material is right for you?
One important factor to consider is the climate in which you live. If you live in a warm climate, then breathable materials like leather or canvas are a good choice. However, if you live in a cold climate, then insulated materials like suede or nylon might be a better choice.
Another important factor to consider is the level of activity you engage in on a daily basis. If you lead a relatively sedentary lifestyle, then almost any material will do. However, if you are an athlete or someone who is constantly on the go, then durability and flexibility are key considerations.
With so many factors to consider, it can be hard to choose the right material for your needs. But by taking the time to consider your needs and preferences, you can be sure to choose the material that is right for you.
What are Leather (or We should Call – Genuine Leather) Shoes?
Genuine leather shoes are made of natural animal skin that has been treated to be durable and, most of the times, waterproof. The most common type of leather used in shoes is cowhide, but you can also find shoes made from buffalo, sheep, and deer skin. Some exotic brands use more exotic materials like crocodile or ostrich skin.
The manufacturing process of leather shoes starts by tanning the animal skin to make it resistant to water and rot. The tanning process uses either vegetable dyes (for a more natural look) or chromium salts (for a brighter color). After that, the leather is treated with some waxes and oils to make it softer and more flexible.
Leather shoes are usually made by combining different parts of the hide – the thicker parts are used for the soles and the straps, while the thinner and more delicate parts are used for the uppers.
Advantages of Leather (Genuine Leather) Shoes
While there are many different types of shoes on the market, leather shoes remain a popular choice for men and women alike. There are several reasons for this, but the main advantages of leather shoes are their durability, comfort, and style. Let’s have a look:
- Leather is a durable material that can withstand regular wear and tear, making it an ideal choice for everyday footwear. With proper care, a pair of leather shoes can last for years.
- Leather shoes also tend to be more breathable than other types of shoes, which helps to keep feet comfortable in adverse weather. So your feet won’t get as sweaty in them as they would in synthetic materials.
- Leather shoes also have a classic look that can be dressed up or down, making them a versatile option for any wardrobe. They have a more natural and luxurious appearance that can dress up any outfit.
- Leather is also a very soft material, so it will mold to the shape of your feet over time and become more comfortable the longer you wear them.
- And because leather is a natural material, it can be molded into a variety of different styles, from classic dress shoes to trendy sneakers. Whether you’re looking for a new pair of work shoes or a stylish accessory for a night out, genuine leather shoes are always a good choice.
- Leather shoes can be easily polished to a high shine.
- Leather shoes can be easily repaired, re-finished, restored and re-soled, making them a wise choice for those who want to extend the life of their footwear.
For all these reasons and more, leather shoes are a wise investment for anyone who wants footwear that will last long and look good ,and continue to be a popular choice for people of all ages and lifestyles.
Downsides of Genuine Leather Shoes
- The main downside of leather shoes is that they require more care than synthetic materials. You need to regularly polish and waterproof them to keep them in good condition.
- Leather shoes is that they are relatively expensive. Leather is a natural material, so it’s rarer and more valuable than synthetic materials.
- Leather shoes can be easily damaged by excessive dampness, water or sweat unless waterproofed adequately.
What are Synthetic Shoes?
Synthetic shoes are made from man-made materials like nylon, polyester, or acrylic, etc. These materials are often cheaper than leather and require less maintenance.
The shoes you wear say a lot about your style. But they can also reveal where your priorities lie. Are you looking for a shoes that offer the best support and durability? Or do you prefer a pair that’s light and comfortable? The type of material your shoes are made from can make all the difference.
Here’s a look at some of the most popular materials used in synthetic shoes, and what each has to offer.
- Synthetic leather: Synthetic leather is often used as a more affordable alternative to real leather. It’s easy to care for and maintain, and it can be dyed to create different color effects. Synthetic leather is not as breathable as natural materials and may cause your feet to sweat more in warm weather.
- Mesh: Mesh is a popular choice for running shoes and other athletic footwear. It’s breathable and lightweight, making it ideal for use in hot weather or during strenuous exercise. However, mesh is not as durable as some other materials and may develop holes more easily.
- Nylon: Nylon is another popular choice for athletic shoes. It’s strong and durable, yet lightweight and flexible. Nylon is also moisture-resistant, making it a good choice for wet weather or high-impact activities. However, nylon shoes may not be as breathable as other types of footwear and can cause your feet to sweat more in warm weather.
- Polyester: Polyester is often used in synthetic shoes because it’s lightweight and durable. It’s also easy to care for and maintain. Polyester is not as breathable as some other materials and may cause your feet to sweat more in warm weather.
- Polyurethane (Commonly – PU): One popular choice is polyurethane, which is Beneficial for its flexibility, durability, and resistance to water and abrasion. It can be susceptible to degradation from sunlight and chemicals.
- Vinyl (Commonly – PVC): vinyl is often used for its strength and durability. However, it can be less flexible than other synthetic materials and is not as resistant to heat or UV radiation.
- Faux Leather: Faux leather is prepared from by using a plastic base and further wax treatment, PU or dye to create variety of color and texture.
- Acrylic: Acrylic is a synthetic material that’s often used as a cheaper alternative to wool. It’s lightweight and easy to care for, but it’s not as durable as some other materials. Acrylic is also not as breathable as natural fibers and may cause your feet to sweat more in warm weather.
How Synthetic Leather is made (Courtesy: Triwood1973)
Synthetic shoes are usually made by injection molding the material into the desired shape. This process is faster and cheaper than making shoes from natural materials.
Synthetic shoes offer many advantages over leather shoes. They’re usually more affordable, easier to care for, and lighter in weight. However, synthetic shoes are not as breathable as leather and may cause your feet to sweat more in warm weather.
Advantages of Synthetic Shoes
- Synthetic shoes are usually lightweight. This makes them perfect for summer months or for athletes who need to move quickly.
- They are relatively affordable. Synthetic materials are much cheaper than leather, so you can get a good pair of synthetic shoes for a fraction of the price of a leather pair.
- Synthetic shoes are also more water resistant than leather shoes, so they are a good choice if you live in a wet climate.
- Another advantage of synthetic shoes is that they are easier to care for than leather shoes. You can simply wipe them clean with a damp cloth – there is no need to polish or waterproof them.
Downsides of Synthetic Shoes
- One downside of synthetic shoes is that they are not as breathable as leather. This can cause your feet to sweat more in warm weather, which can lead to blisters and other foot problems.
- Synthetic shoes are also not as durable as leather shoes. They may show signs of wear and tear more quickly, and they are not as resistant to scuffs and scratches.
Verdict – So, what’s the verdict? Genuine Leather Vs Synthetic Shoes?
If you’re looking for lightweight, easy-to-care-for and affordable shoes, then synthetic is the way to go. However, if you’re looking for a classic look that will last for years, breathable and comfortable, then leather shoes or boots are the better choices.
No matter which material you choose, be sure to try on the shoes and walk around in them before you make your purchase. This will help you ensure that the shoes are comfortable and that they fit well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is synthetic leather fake leather?
Synthetic leather is a real material, just not real leather. It’s just made from man-made synthetic materials (sometimes resembles like real leather) rather than natural ones.
Does Nike use synthetic leather?
Yes, Nike does use synthetic leather in some of their shoes and products.
So, there you have it – a comprehensive guide to leather vs synthetic shoes. We hope this has helped you make a more informed decision about which type of shoe is right for you.
No matter which material you choose, remember to try on before you purchase. This will help you ensure that the shoes are comfortable and that they fit well.
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to give a buzz to us. We would be more than happy to help you find the perfect pair of shoes.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve our effort!
Tell us how we can improve our effort
- Do Black Socks Cause Foot Odor? - June 27, 2022
- 10 Shockingly Cheap Steel Toe Boots Under $150 in 2022 (Reviews & Buying Guide) - June 19, 2022
- Caterpillar Boots and Shoes: All You Need to Know About - June 15, 2022